Functional Occlusion from TMJ to Smile Design
Last updated: September 4, 2020
This book uses an interdisciplinary approach to explain the origin of and possible solutions to many different occlusal problems. Dr. Peter E. Dawson guides the reader along the way providing balanced explanations of theory and technique. He also debunks many popular misconceptions through practical discussion of their origins and the deficiencies of the arguments behind them. Different sides of many philosophies are presented while guiding the reader to the most functional and esthetic solution to various occlusal situations. Hundreds of full-color photographs, illustrations, and diagrams show aspects of the masticatory system, the epidemiology of occlusal problems, and procedures for finding the ideal occlusion. Whether the reader is a general dentist or a specialist, they will find this book applicable to their treatment methods and philosophies.
- Special atlas sections break down complex information accompanied by descriptive diagrams and photographs to further explain sources of occlusal disorders and related pain.
- Hundreds of full-color photographs and illustrations show problems and procedures.
- Procedure boxes offer step-by-step explanations of specific procedures.
- Important Considerations boxes in the Treatment chapters outline treatment plans and describe what is to be accomplished.
- Programmed treatment planning, a specific process that guides a clinician through every step for solving even the most complex restorative or esthetic challenge.
- The role of TMJs and occlusion in “everyday” dentistry.
- The role of occlusion in orofacial pain and TMD, and in anterior esthetics.
- Simplified occlusal equilibration and how to explain this process to patients.
- The functional matrix concept for exceptional, foolproof smile design.
- The five options for occlusal correction and how to apply them to practice.
- Use and abuse of occlusal sprints.
- Coordinating occlusal treatment with specialists for a fully interdisciplinary approach.
- Specific criteria for success and how to test for each.
So grateful for kindle version!
Great book, wish I had read it years ago! I wish there more illustrations, there are some but for us visual learners there can never be too many. There are lots of descriptions in words where diagrams would be a great supplement. Great on the iPad!
A much needs book for the diligent dentist. It provides a bigger picture and helps in providing the optimum treatment for patients.
Your key to understanding occlusion
Excellent resource for ALL practicing dentists, students and dental educators. Packed with authoritative descriptions, tables and illustrations.
For the first time I could find a comprehensive textbook on ocllusion and TMJ position, and applying these in practice. Lots of pictures and clinical hints. It’s clinically oriented so General dentists should have it as an asset in their libraries.
A much needed text in the restorative dentist library.
If you want to be a better dentist, you need to make a careful and consistent study of the principles of this book.
Well, I have to say that this book has changed my whole practice since I bought it. I’ll tell you what: we better have a philosophy to follow in order to treat our patients into a comprehensive approach. We better understand what’s behind patient’s dental problems in order to fix them and most important, to prevent them from recurring. Dr. Dawson has decades of experience and you’re gonna see the results on a daily basis. I can’t see a better approach out there for the dentists to treat their patients in a very predictable manner. It doesn’t matter if you’re a Specialist or a General Dentist. No more guessing on what you’re doing! It’s a must-have. Trust me.
Essential reading for any dentist
A great update of the first version of the Dawson’s book. A must have for every dentist willing to do full mouth rehabilitions. Good pictures and diagrams explaining clearly every occlusal procedure.
I am so glad I bought Functional Occlusion! Dr. Dawson takes a very dry subject and makes it fascinating. Each chapter is brief so the reader can finish the section and absorb it thoroughly before moving on. Written principles are simplified with diagrams and photographs. It contains all of the nuts and bolts with no fluff. This one scores “100”.